Wednesday 18 September 2013

Mascara Reviews: Maybelline + NYC

I haven't done a review in quite some time, so I figured it was about time I did. Today, I'm talking about mascaras, and the two I used all summer, Maybelline The Falsies Flared, and NYC's Big and Bold mascara.






At the start of summer, I went out and purchased the Maybelline The Falsies: Flared mascara, hoping it would live up to all the hype under its not so cheap 12e pricetag. You can see some pictures of the brush itself above, but I didn't like the formula- either too little deposits on the brush, or I bought a tube that was beginning to dry out, which is unlikely, since the Maybelline mascaras are always packaged away in plastic. Anyway, I didn't see much of the 'wow' factor I was looking for after application- my lashes seemed darker, and maybe longer, but I didn't get the thick and volume like effect I was looking for. The formula doesn't look quite black either, but a very dark blue or a dark grey, but not a black black. I was quite dissapointed, as there is so much hype around the original Falsies mascara, but maybe the Flared version isn't the same.

So after a few weeks, I went out and got the NYC Big and Bold mascara, which was cheap (3.49e!), had a brush much bigger than the Falsies did, and looked promising. However, my lashes did look bigger, thicker but unfortunately clumpy after I had applied the mascara, let it dry, and applied it again. My lashes looked thicker and more volume-ous after just one application, but the more I applied, the darker they became. So I was quite happy with this, but I hit the real 'ultimate' jackpot when I discovered how to really make my lashes darker, thicker, longer, fuller- like I was wearing a very natural set of lashes.

And that's because I decided to layer them over each other! I apply the NYC mascara first, to add thickess, volume and black to my lashes. Then, once its dried, I put on the Maybelline in the corners of the eyes, to coat the smaller lashes as it's small brush gets in tight corners. It also adds curl and coats the end of the lashes, which makes them look long and thick.

And there you have it! Two unsuccessful mascaras on their own, but once you put them together, they do wonders.

Thanks for reading! I'm sorry if my uploading schedule is ridiculous- going back to school and getting everything in place again and starting studying is a pain, but I will keep going with the blog posts nevertheless.



Gaby x


No comments:

Post a Comment