Monday 21 January 2013

People Who Inspire Me: Marilyn Monroe

I was meant to post this last week, but I was having a really stressful couple of days and couldn't bring myself to it. However, here it is- the second installment to my three-part People Who Inspire Me blog!



Marilyn is undoubtedly is one of the most inspirational, beautiful and amazing women that ever lived. She is known worldwide, is unbelievably beautiful, and is as some people say 'The Perfect Woman'.  She was originally a 'dumb blonde' image actress, a figure everyone found humorous, witty and attractive.

Marilyn lived in the most remarkable century of our time-20th century, and she's one of the reasons cinema and film is so popular today, as some people are on the hunt for a second Marilyn Monroe, even though she is irreplaceable  She was a brilliant actress, fashion icon and role model to millions-or billions even?- people worldwide. Her quotes motivate people to get out of bed in the morning, most famous examples include 'I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and sometimes hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.' and of course 'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and its better to look absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring'.

'Madness is genius'- describes Marilyn's life perfectly. She suffered from psychoanalysis, which was triggered from her troubled childhood. Undergoing depression whilst the whole world was watching you was obviously difficult, however, the final year of her life she looked amazing and gathered, so its good to believe she died happy, at the very early age of 36, hence the saying, live fast, die young.

Marilyn's impact of fashion is unreal. Her signature look, dark lashes, blond peroxide short curls, pale skin and red lips is the classical look today. She always looked breath-takingly beautiful, she didn't need makeup or plastic surgery (and that wasn't even available at the time) to look young and gorgeous.
  She made a massive impact on Chanel without even realizing it. When asked what she wore to bed, she admits she 'didn't want to say nude' so she famously replied 'a drop of No. 5 by Chanel' which has been made out to be 'the secret of No. 5', and was used in a advertisement campaign for the famous perfume only a couple of years ago. Putting Chanel aside, she wore outfits that sold for millions in actions- her most famous include her white dress that made her famous (the 'skirt blowing' scene, which caused a split from her first husband) and the drop-dead shimmering white dress she wore at her last public appearance (Happy Birthday Mr President).

          

I was always familiar with Marilyn Monroe, ever since I was a child. My mother was always really fascinated by her, always curling her hair into Monroe styles (and she still does daily!), always calling her unbelievably beautiful, so I respected Marilyn since a very young age. Mam always said Marilyn was 'the perfect woman, thus she will never die.'

My sense of fashion and the way I dress is influenced by Marilyn a little bit- I always like to keep my outfit feminine, pretty and noticeable. Obviously, my taste in fashion will change, but I will never take Marilyn Monroe off the No. 1 spot as to the people who influence me to put on skinnies and not tracksuit bottoms in the morning.



Gaby x

4 comments: